Banking your baby’s cord blood
The purpose of cord blood banking is to preserve your baby’s umbilical cord blood which is available only at the time of birth. A cord blood bank is where your baby’s collected stem cells will be stored. The frozen cells will be available exclusively for your family and on demand should a health crisis necessitate their use. Cord blood banking is simple, painless, and noninvasive. The procedure only takes about 5 minutes and poses no risk to either the mother or the newborn as it is extracted after delivery.
What is Cord Blood?
Cord Blood Stem cells are the building blocks of blood and the immune system, as well as all tissues in the body. These stem cells can replenish themselves and transform into other cell types including red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. This enables them to replace other cells in the body that are abnormal, weakened, or destroyed by disease. So the more cells you store, the greater potential benefit you’re giving your family for future therapeutic use.
The Value of Stem Cell Storage for your Family
Thousands of stem cell transplants have been performed worldwide for some 80 known diseases.Cord blood is rich in stem cells: ounce for ounce, cord blood contains many times more blood-producing cells than bone marrow. Cord blood stem cells have the power to build a new blood and immune system.They have also proven their ability to turn into blood vessel cells, which may one day benefit treatments for heart disease, allowing patients to essentially “grow their own bypass.“
Privately banked cord blood will provide your baby with a perfect match for potential stem cell transplants and even offer a greater likelihood of a suitable match for family members.
Stem cell transplants have also been used to treat serious diseases in children and adults including various cancers such as acute and chronic leukemia, certain lymphomas, and many other diseases.
Cord blood stem cells have also been “triggered” to differentiate into neural cells, which may, one day, hold the promise of treatments for diseases such as Parkinson’s disease.
Most recently, cord blood stem cells have shown promising initial results in reducing disease severity in Type 1 diabetes patients, possibly re-setting the immune system and slowing destruction of insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas. The stem cells you store at a cord blood bank today may become even more beneficial in the future with research constantly under way to find new medical uses including cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, and spinal cord injury.
Women’s Center for Integrative Health’s Commitment to Patient Empowerment
- Our Practice believes in Cord Blood Banking.
- Our Practice provides a Patient Empowered approach to cord blood education.
- Our Practice ensures your decision will be informed and confident.
- Our Practice understands the critical importance of cord blood and will support your knowledge beyond what a brochure or pamphlet can summarize.
- Our Practice provides our patients’ with a cord blood liaison to support you learning, decision process and enrollment.
- Our Practice supports only clinical cord blood solutions that provide a Patient Centered approach, has Quality Assured every aspect of the process, and allows your OB to provide oversight and annual review of our patient’s cord blood storage.
- Our Practice advocates storing your babies cord blood is a potential life saving investment.